Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

Sometimes it takes having kids of one's own to really appreciate your own parents. With two of my own, I now have first hand knowledge of how tough the job actually is. Good job, Pop!

On this father's day, I wish Pop a Happy Father's Day with a Father's Day Haiku contest and pair of top five list.
Here's the opening salvo:
How Pop Created a Lawyer -- a haiku

Father's Day is here
What have I learned from my Pop?

Love of argument
Reader submissions welcome. I'm confident you can do better; winner announced soon.

Here's my list of the top five great fictional fathers (using no particular criteria other than these are fathers that might have been fun to have):

5. Eugene Levy's character in American Pie
4. Clark Griswald ("Roll up the windows!" National Lampoon's Family Vacation)
3. Ben Cartwright (Bonanza)
2. Ralphie Parker's Dad ("You'll shoot your eye out"; Christmas Story)
1. Homer Simpson


The Ponderosa's wise patriarch, and third best fictional dad



Top five not-so-great fictional fathers:

5. Danial Plainview ("Bastard in a Basket!"; There Will Be Blood)
4. Al Bundy (Married (With Children))
3. Darth Vader ("I am your father"; Return of the Jedi)
2. Bull Meechum (basketball bounced on the head; the Great Santini)
1. Jack Torrance ("Heeeere's Johnny!"; The Shining)

Happy Father's Day!!

5 comments:

WV said...

Seek fortune in spring
Two sons arrive in summer,
The search is over

oppo said...

St. Paddy's Day crash
Spunky young candy-stripper
Me: a wreck of fate?

WV said...

First of all, "candy-STRIPPER?"
I'm guessing that may be a Freudian typo.
Obviously there is more of a story here than a haiku can contain.

oppo said...

Ahh, the dangers of spell-checker. If it doesn't tell me it's a misspelling, I often think it's right. The Haiku refers to a candystriper. Not a stripper named Candy. Sorry to both parents.

Anonymous said...

Were you in a car accident?